Victoria University of Wellington Tramping Club
Welcome to VUWTC Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

AIC - Alpine Instruction Course 18-19 June

Last post 14-06-2011, 2:26 PM by Pia. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  02-06-2011, 12:42 PM 5942

AIC - Alpine Instruction Course 18-19 June

On June 18-19, we are going to Whakapapa skifield on Mt Ruapehu for AIC.  We will meet at 5pm on Friday night at Hunter Carpark and come back on Sunday night.  On Friday we will camp at the bottom of Mt Ruapehu, while on Saturday we will stay at the Auckland Tramping Club lodge.

On AIC, we will teach how to use ice axe and crampons, how to self arrest if you fall over on a snow slope and the basic skills of how to manage yourself in the mountains.  The cost of the trip will be $70.  The cost will cover transport to and from Mt Ruapehu and accomodation for Saturday night.

There is no fitness level required for this trip as we will remain on the ski field.  While being an instructional weekend, it is also one of the more social trips of the year.

Gear required:

Your normal tramping gear, over trousers, gloves, sunglasses, helmet, tramping boots with stiff soles (required for crampons), make sure you have plenty of warm clothing as there will be some standing around during instruction.

Gear List: http://vuwtc.org.nz/cs/content/gear.aspx

Let me know if you have any questions 

Mike

michael.instone@hotmail.com
  •  14-06-2011, 12:29 AM 5959 in reply to 5942

Re: AIC - Alpine Instruction Course 18-19 June

We now have a full trip due to accomodation and gear constraints.  If you are interested and have not yet signed up, let me know.  If anyone pulls out then I will try to get you on the trip.  Otherwise, if there is enough interest, I will try to run a second AIC the following weekend in particular for people who intend coming on mid winter, but can't make AIC this weekend.

Mike

michael.instone@hotmail.com
  •  14-06-2011, 2:26 PM 5960 in reply to 5959

Re: AIC - Alpine Instruction Course 18-19 June

I hope the second AIC is running ;o)

Gear custodian - 2012

022 074 2258
    p.skorstengaard@gmail.com
View as RSS news feed in XML